I’m going to get in big trouble for saying this, but sometimes I liken influencing (read: telling) Dotty’s wardrobe as a trial run to one day dressing up my babies. I get to see looks I like, alter them to suit Dotty’s (read: mine) tastes, search the items out and reap the glory of my man looking good. Winning all round. And all of which I plan to do with our future children.
I find that as I get deeper into this world of fashion and blogging, I am appreciating men’s fashion and trends almost as much as women’s fashion. I like the fact that a man has a definite style and look that he can pull off. I like that different types of boys suit different types of clothing. I like that the fashion choices for men are broadening and that looking good is becoming more of a priority.
And as with women, as fashion trends come and go, I think there are those definite staple items that every man should own. The basic items that make up the wardrobe and that are paired with the fashiony stuff to complete the look.
I have put together a list of the Top 10 Staple Items that I Think Every Boy-Man Should Own. The list is in no particular order and can be applied to any type of man with any type of style. The items selected are multi-seasonal, year-round type items. What I mean by that is I haven’t put boardies on there nor have I put a woollen coat. Some of these items are straight forward enough and some I have given elaboration to.
- A good pair of jeans. This first item is a goody because it can be tailored to suit the boy – skinny, straight leg, vintage, slouchy but a must have in every wardrobe.
- A pair of kicks – those shoes that a man will put on when going to the pub on a Sunday.
- A dress shirt that isn’t a business shirt. Dinners, parties, a night on the town – a shirt that fits well, can be worn dressed up (with slacks) or down (with jeans) but doesn’t look like he has just left the office.
- A hoody sweatshirt.
- A leather jacket. (I especially like this look on Dotty when he pairs it with his hoody.)
- A good pair of “dressy” trousers (slacks) that fit well (length and waist – if you need to, pay to get these taken up, it will make all the difference)
- Dress shoes. Not “suit and boot” dressy but dressy enough to go with that shirt at number three.
- A good pair of sunglasses – add instant factor to any outfit. They don’t have to be expensive but probably shouldn’t be picked up from the petrol station on your way to the beach.
- T-shirts. Without rips. Or stains. I’m sure every boy-man would agree that you can never have too many t-shirts, but I’m sure every girl-lady would like to encourage quality over quantity.
- An accessory – be it a hat, a cuff or a man-bag, I think it’s important for the boy-men to show off their personal style and an accessory is the PERFECT place to do this.
Style is going to adapt/ trends are going come and go (and come back again – are you sure 80’s fashion?) with both women’s AND men’s fashion but with a few basics up your leather jacket sleeve, you should be set to suit whatever your mood or whimsy may be.
(Disclaimer: Most (read: all) of the images have been chosen with Dotty in mind, so interpretation is over to you for your man. He is my muse after all and this is my blog)